Every other Thursday from 7:00am – 8:30am and 6:30pm – 8pm and Friday from 7:00am – 8:30am
With Resident Teacher Gen Kelsang Tilopa
We are currently studying Meaningful to Behold, a commentary to Shantideva’s Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life
The Foundation Program (FP) provides students with an opportunity to advance their understanding and practice of Buddha’s teachings through systematic study and meditation on the essential teachings of Mahayana Buddhism. Foundation Program students study the following five subjects based on Buddha’s Sutra teachings and their corresponding commentaries by our teacher, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
- The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, or Kadam Lamrim, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
- Training the Mind, or Kadam Lojong, based on two commentaries, Eight Steps to Happiness and Universal Compassion
- The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary Heart of Wisdom
- Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
- Types of Mind, based on the commentary Understanding the Mind*
The Benefits of the Foundation Program
Students in the FP have an opportunity to follow the same training followed by spiritual practitioners for generations, but without having to abandon their modern lifestyle. Over time, students in FP find that their minds change for the better in significant ways: through taking Buddha’s teachings as personal advice and striving to put them into practice in daily life, they gain authentic spiritual experience, solve their daily problems, improve their relationships at work and at home, and develop a good heart.
The Commitments of the Foundation Program
Our General Program classes are offered on a drop-in basis and there are no requirements for attending. As a more structured program of study, the FP does require students to make some basic commitments:
- Students keep the intention to attend every class during the FP term (terms are August through late December and late January through June), and try not to miss more than two classes per term
- Students read ahead and memorize the essential points of the text
- Students memorize the root text and/or the condensed meaning of the text
- Students take one exam per year to check their understanding of what they have studied
- Students pay a $55 per month fee (including during months when FP is not in session)
Studying via Correspondence
Students who live outside the Chapel Hill/ Carrboro area or who have a good reason for not being able to attend Foundation Program can request to study via correspondence. Students receive CDs or MP3s of the teachings and keep all the commitments of Foundation Program except for attendance of classes and chanted prayer sessions. If you are interested in studying via correspondence, please email us or call 919.537.9546
Is the Foundation Program Right for Me?
Generally speaking, students are encouraged to first attend General Program classes for a little while before making the decision to join Foundation Program. However, there are no “prerequisites” for joining other than agreeing to the commitments mentioned above; some students do not attend General Program but begin their involvement in the Center within the Foundation Program. It is a good idea to attend a few classes (at no cost) before deciding to join the Foundation Program.
Current studies: We are currently studying Meaningful to Behold, by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, a commentary on Shantideva’s Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life